Tuesday 17 March 2015

If there was such a thing as reincarnation, I would wish to come back as a volcano

During my absence from blogging, I have actually been keeping busy, but I couldn't do screengrabs to help pad out the posts and those reading for any length of time will know that my writing something clever, informative or witty was always deeply unlikely, so I just kept my head down until I was done with the other things.  I'm still beavering away at a project at the moment, but over on the Quaequam Blog, a daily Judge Dredd strip has started that will run for just under three weeks, so I thought I could fill a few blog posts by linking to that, showing the original artwork, commenting on the creative process, etc.
Filler, basically.  Shameless, lazy filler.  It's like I never left.
Above is the raw artwork for part one, which can be read HERE.  You will note the completely bonkers approach to perspective I have undertaken in the first panel, and ill-advised attempt to create framing in the second, compounded by my subconsciously drawing the buildings in the background  to resemble a sex toy designed specifically for double penetration, but I just used the outline in the end and I think I got away with it.  The third I don't even want to think about, but to cut a long story short, I drew the wrong version of Dredd and then refused to change it, so Lee had to rewrite the entire script from scratch to be about judge imposters, rather than the original story - "Live Guns Are More Important Than Dead Americans" - about a spree shooter called Clint who refused to give up his gun even though he wasn't mentally competent enough to own one, and the script featured many bizarre Dredd one-liners like "All Americans who think they're entitled to own a gun they're too stupid to use are Clints." and had many ironic turns in which people who used bullets were ultimately undone by bullets.
I drew the wrong Dredd in the second chapter as well, so Lee had to rewrite the whole thing from scratch for a second time.  I like to think that my stubbornness and unreliability are what keeps me from gaining employment as an artist just as much as my lack of talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment